How to start a WordPress blog in 15 minutes with SiteGround hosting
If you’re planning on starting your own WordPress blog then one of the first things you’ll need to do is decide which hosting company to use.
There are hundreds of different hosting companies out there, all trying to get your attention and convince you to sign up with them.
However, there’s only one that actually matters – and that’s SiteGround.
They are the King of hosting companies and go out of their way to help beginner bloggers like you to set up your blog in the most simply way possible – plus they’re very competitively priced.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase (at no additional cost to you).
Why your WordPress blog needs hosting and a domain name
If you’re new to the blogging world then you might be a little unsure as to why you need to invest in hosting and a domain name straight away. I mean, you haven’t even started your blog yet – do you really need to be spending money already?
The blunt answer is YES. A website simply doesn’t work without a domain name and hosting package.
Let’s imagine your website is like your house (yeah – weird analogy but stay with me here).
First off, you need some land. If there was no land, you wouldn’t be able to build a house. Your hosting package is like the land your house is built on. You need a good, sturdy patch of land before you can start to build.
(Is this analogy working? I sure hope so!)
So, if a hosting package is land, then a domain name is your home address. Just like having your address allows people to visit your home, your domain name is where people can find you on the internet. For example, my domain name is myblogstyle.com.
Basically, what I’m trying to say is that you can’t have a WordPress website without hosting and a domain name. It just isn’t possible. They are the foundations (yup- more house terms!) to your blog and cannot be ignored or left for another day.
Why SiteGround is a great choice for your blog hosting
As a web developer, I’ve worked with many different hosting companies over the past 10+ years and SiteGround is by far the best one that I have used which is why I recommend it.
Here are some of my favourite features of SiteGround:
- It’s affordable at just £3.95/month
- The user interface is really simply to use and all the features are easy to find
- The customer support is top notch. Whenever I’ve had a query, I’ve just hopped on the live chat and had my questions answered in minutes.
- If you are stuck on something, the customer support team will help you out – for free! You can get the team to install WordPress, set up your SSL certificate and more.
- Their customer support team will help you if you already have a blog or website with a different hosting company (e.g. Bluehost) and want to move it to Siteground. Ask them nicely and they might even do the migration for you.
- Websites hosted on SiteGround are super speedy. Google takes site speed into consideration when ranking your blog in the search engines rankings, so it’s good to be quick!
- You get a free SSL certificate for your blog. SSL is an important security feature which all websites should have. Some hosting companies make you pay £50+ per year for a certificate whereas SiteGround give you one for free.
- You can install WordPress in just a couple of clicks. No fussing about with technical tasks – just fill in a few details (e.g. what you want to name your blog), submit a form and BOOM – you have a WordPress blog!
- You don’t need to have any technical knowledge to set up your very own WordPress blog with SiteGround.
Sounds good, right?
Well… what are you waiting for? Let’s get your blog hosting SORTED!
How to purchase a domain name and website hosting
Step 1: Go to SiteGround
Head on over to SiteGround’s website.
Once you’re there, click on the “SEE PLANS” link.
Step 2: Choose your hosting package
Choose the hosting package. I recommend the “GrowBig” hosting package because you get more storage space and it allows for more visitors, plus you get access to SiteGround’s premium features such as free backup restores and priority technical support.
SiteGround’s customer support is top-notch when you have priority. In my opinion it’s worth paying the extra £1.20/month for premium customer support as it will make setting up your blog much easier – and also benefits you in the long-term should you need to get in touch with SiteGround for any reason.
Step 3: Register your domain name
After you choose your hosting package you’ll be asked if you want to register a new domain or if you have already bought one with another company (or with SiteGround!).
For this example, I chose to register a new domain.
Simply type your chosen domain name into the box and choose the domain extension (for example .com, .co.uk, .net etc).
Step 4: Choose your contract length and sign up for Domain Privacy
On this page you can select how long you want to sign up for. If you pay for 12 months upfront then you get a discounted rate of £3.95/month + VAT.
That’s a rather lovely bargain for SiteGround’s super-fast, secure website hosting!
There are a few other services on this page which you can sign up for, although these are all optional.
Personally I don’t sign up to the SG Site Scanner as I don’t think it’s necessary, however Domain Privacy is one that I like to have.
When you register a domain name, your personal details such as name, address and phone number become public. Anyone can find these details by searching for your domain name. However, by signing up for Domain Privacy your personal details gets hidden so that people cannot find it.
I think it’s worth paying a little bit extra to protect my personal information but it’s completely up to you whether you choose to add this or not.
Step 5: Make payment
The final step to sign up for SiteGround website hosting is to enter your payment information.
As we’re paying for 12 month’s hosting upfront, plus a domain name and possibly domain privacy, the total will come out at around £75-£85 depending on which options you selected in the previous stages.
Congratulations! Your hosting is all set up
Woohoo! Wasn’t that simple?
It’s only taken about 10 minutes for your domain name and website hosting to have been been successfully created, which means you’re ready for the next step which is installing WordPress.